Trending on Counselor @ Law
- Language and invention
The core processor is not a chip.
- Birches, bitches
Jesse Pinkman's favorite Robert Frost poem.
- Investment crowdfunding exemption in Washington State?
- Geeks on buses: Seattle v. San Francisco edition
About This Blog
Counselor@Law started publishing in 2009 and worked its way up to posting daily within a year or two. It stood down a couple years ago, not publishing new material, but maintaining the archive that continued to see traffic.
Current thinking is that Counselor@Law may return to more frequently postings in 2016, more narrowly focused on accredited crowdfunding, Rule 506, and other new changes wrought to securities laws by the JOBS Act that impact startup and emerging company financing and angel investors.
About Bill Carleton
Except where a guest author is credited, post on Counselor@Law are by Bill Carleton, a lawyer who practices at the McNaul firm in Seattle. The posts on this blog reflect the personal opinions of the particular authors and not of their firms or employers.
Bill is active in national policy impacting angel investors and the startup financing ecosystem. He serves on the Angel Capital Association's Public Policy Committee Advisory Council, and writes, speaks and presents frequently on general solicitation, accredited investor verification, and other reforms under the JOBS Act. He has written articles on these topics for the Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, GeekWire and VC Experts, and has been quoted on the JOBS Act by the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Inc.com, Crowdsourcing.org, Compliance Week, KQED.org, and other publications.
Bill Carleton Speaking Engagements
Bill frequently speaks on JOBS Act reforms that impact startup and emerging company financing and angel investing. Here are some examples:
- November 10, 2015: Update on ACA, Public Policy & What Happened Yesterday, 2015 Angel Insights Exchange, New Orleans
- April 15, 2015: And the Beat Goes On, 2015 Angel Capital Association Summit, San Diego
- March 27, 2014: The New SEC Regulations: Practical Interpretation and Guidance for Angel Group Management Activities, 2014 Angel Capital Association Summit, Washington DC
- March 25, 2014: Disruptive Alternatives: An insight to Crowd Funding and Peer-to-Peer lending, the new investment vehicles for investors, Thomson Reuters 2014 Online Financial Services Symposium, NYC
- April 19, 2013: JOBS Act - The Latest, What it Means for Angels, and What ACA is Doing, 2013 Angel Capital Association Summit, San Francisco
- March 14, 2013: Two kinds of investment crowdfunding, ACA Northwest Regional Meeting, Seattle
- March 4, 2013: Crowdfunding, AngelList and angel investing: the Venn of it all, Seattle Angel Conference, Seattle
- October 18, 2012: Legal Stuff Explained 2.4: Equity Crowdfunding, hosted by Docracy, Brooklyn
- May 4, 2012: ACA & VC Experts webinar, Understanding the JOBS Act.
- May 3, 2012: "Private Offerings: Impact of the Elimination of Regulation D Rule 506 Prohibitions on General Solicitation," at the Taking Advantage of the JOBS Act Conference (CLE), Seattle
- May 2, 2012: Public policy panel, ACA Northwest Regional Meeting, Seattle
- March 12, 2012: Legal Advice For Entrepreneurs & Their Companies, hosted by Peter Fosso, Seattle
- March 7, 2012: The New Reality - Impact of Washington DC Policymakers on Angels and Startups, Angel Capital Association 2012 Summit, Austin
Bill Carleton JOBS Act Writings
Here are samples of Bill's blogging and journalism outside this blog:
- Referenced in 'Crowdfunding' Gets State-Level Test Run | Wall Street Journal, December 4, 2013
- Quoted in JOBS Act Secretly Cramps Friends-and-Family Funding | Inc.com, October 1, 2013
- The Trojan Horse of Accredited-Investor Verification | The Accelerators, Wall Street Journal, September 27, 2013
- Quoted in General Solicitation Brings Startups Capital, Risks | Wall Street Journal, September 23, 2013
- Angel investing: The walls come tumbling down | GeekWire, September 23, 2013
- Quoted in FINRA tackles private securities as investors seek yield | Reuters, August 29, 2013
- Interviewed in SEC Plans for New Disclosures on Private Offerings Draw Fire | Compliance Week, August 27, 2013
- Guest on This Week in Law Episode #222, "Confust it All" | August 2. 2013
- Let's have general solicitation as Congress intended it | TechCrunch, July 19, 2013
- Interviewed for SEC votes to lift general solicitation ban | Crowdsourcing.org, July 10, 2013
- Interviewed for No more secrecy? SEC votes to allow startups, VCs, hedge funds to talk about fundraising | GeekWire, July 10, 2013
- Contributor to Expert Q&A on Accredited Crowdfunding | Practical Law Company, June 20, 2013
- Referenced in What Does Gay Marriage Have to do with Private Equity | WSJ Private Equity Beat, June 19, 2013
- Quoted in What's Really Going on With Crowdfunding | Inc.com, April 10, 2013
- Quoted in Solar Company Can "Crowd Fund" $100 Million, Regulators Say | KQED.org, April 8, 2013
- What the SEC letters to FundersClub and AngelList mean for investment crowdfunding | Crowdsourcing.org (editorial), April 2, 2013
- Visual language: Stagecraft in Obama’s Google Hangout | GeekWire, February 15, 2013
- Three things broken in investment crowdfunding that SEC regulations won't fix | Crowdsourcing.org (editorial), January 7, 2013
- Legal lessons from Amazon’s ‘noncompete’ battle with Google | GeekWire, December 31, 2012
- (Cited in) REFILE-Website names tied to crowdfunding spike-NASAA | Reuters, December 5, 2012
- Congratulations President Obama, Now Please Help Fix Equity Crowdfunding | Crowdsourcing.org (editorial), November 9, 2012
- Does the U.S. Equity Crowdfunding Legislation Need a "Do-over"? | Crowdsourcing.org (editorial), October 5, 2012
- Driverless cars: Looking under the legislation’s hood | GeekWire, September 26, 2012
- (Quoted in) Kickstarter Clarifies Refund Policy After News Report | KQED News Fix, September 5, 2012
- (Interviewed in) In 'Crowdfunding,' Money Trail is Murky | KQED Radio, August 23, 2012
- Questions I'd ask before listing a startup on FundersClub | GeekWire, August 23, 2012
Click here for an index including older links.
Credits, CC License and Permissions
Except where a guest writer is credited, all posts are by William Carleton. Click here for Bill's personal profile.